Looking to fix up your outdated fence or install a fence on your property?
Fences are great for adding value and kerb appeal to your property. They also keep your outdoor space beautiful and private.
When looking for a new fence for your home, it is important to decide what type of fence you want. Ask your local fence contractor Ealing to give you some ideas on what works for you.
Since different fences are designed to cater to the specific needs of a homeowner, knowing what you need a fence for will go a long way in helping you pick the best fence for you.
So which is the best fence for you? To help you make this decision, let’s go through the pros and cons of wood and metal fences.
Wooden fences are an ancient outdoor component that remains popular to this day. Wood is a favourite fencing material for many reasons such as:
- Wooden fences have minimal maintenance requirements.
- A natural look that offers a traditional feel to your home.
- Different textures and colours of wood are available.
- Wooden fences are very durable and sturdy.
- If sealed properly they are very maintainable.
- Wooden fences are cost-efficient and can be made and installed easily.
Wood fencing brings a charming and traditional design aspect to a home. Its warm and soft tones are visually relaxing and earthy.
Unfortunately, wooden fencing has some disadvantages. Here are the most common problems faced with wooden fences.
- They are easily susceptible to moisture absorption.
- Wooden fences tend to change shape and warp with temperature changes.
- Eventual rotting and deterioration.
This fencing solution also needs a lot of maintenance to help keep up its appearance. Furthermore, if painted, it needs to be sanded, primed and refinished every two years.
Wood shrinks as it dries and gaps can be seen in the fence, which reduces its uniformity. The panels also swell in cold temperatures and can make the fence look unpleasant.
To avoid your wooden fence from rotting and deteriorating, hire a professional fencing contractor in Wigan, like Ealing Fencing Contractors, to seal your wooden fence and keep it looking fresh and new.
Metal railings have not always been the ideal choice for fencing. However, fence installation companies have seen an increase in popularity for metal fences.
Favoured for being customizable and low maintenance, metal fences are being installed in residential homes as well, to add a more modern feel to the property.
Paint your metal railing to match your landscape and make the space feel more natural.
This simple metal railing allows the vegetation to grow through it, making the space feel more organic.
Metal railings offer a lot more advantages than you may think, such as:
- They are very customizable and can be made to suit various design styles.
- Metal raining sare durable and can last many years with almost no maintenance.
- They offer superior security solutions and ward off intruders.
- Metal railings protect from impacts that could damage property.
- They are low maintenance and easy to repair.
- Offers design flexibility due to the many options available, including wrought iron, galvanized steel and aluminium.
With all these advantages, metal railings still cause problems and may not be the best choice for you. Here are the downsides of installing a metal fence.
- More difficult to install than wooden fences.
- They are heavy and rigid making them hard to manipulate and customize.
Still can’t decide which is ultimately better? Let’s look at the cost of the two fencing materials.
A wood fencing project cost depends on the following factors:
- The size of your wood fencing project.
- The type of wood you decide to use for your project.
The overall cost of wood fencing can be quite high if you go for the more classic woods such as Bocote and Oak.
Especially in this post-pandemic era, wood prices are at an all-time high, making them a luxury purchase if you need a unique fence.
Furthermore, wood fences need staining and treatment to protect them from the elements and deterioration. These costs rest squarely on the homeowner.
Wood fences also need constant ongoing repairs, replacement and maintenance. This means you have to factor in hiring professional fence contractors to your overall fencing costs.
Considering that wood fences will cost you much more upfront than going for a maintenance-free fence, a lot of consideration should be taken before choosing this fencing material.
Metal railings on the other hand will cost you less in the long run. Let’s have a look at why this is so.
Metal railing costs depend on the size of the fence you decide to put up, and any special accessories you may want to adorn the fence with.
The installation and labour costs are similar to those of installing any fencing post. The difference is with the post maintenance of the metal fence.
Metal fences are quite durable and require very little repair or replacement. High-quality aluminium fences do not need to be stained or treated making them a great cost saver.
Overall, metal railing fences cost less in the long run than wooden fences. The longer you keep the fence, the more costs you will have in terms of repair and replacing your wooden boards.
Furthermore, when you consider the longevity of a wooden fence to that of an aluminium fence, the difference is staggering.
A metal fence is a better investment and its value is definitely worth it!
Do you need fence installation in Ealing? No matter which fencing option you choose, Wigan Fencing Contractors offers the best fencing solution for your property.
If you have any questions about fencing services in Wigan, contact us today and get a professional and premium service for your lawn.